Casting Networks® caught up with casting director Yasmin Wade, who makes up half of the Jane Doe Casting duo. Yasmin dives into how she got started in casting, career highlights, and why she’s excited about the future of this industry.
1. What inspired you to be a casting director?
Travel and cute guys if I’m completely honest. I was young! Back when I started, clients had budgets that would allow casting to travel to various cities to find actors or real people of different backgrounds.
2. What was your first job in casting?
Working for casting director Mimi Webb Miller. We traveled everywhere together – New York City, Austin, Boston, and Miami to name a few. I met my future husband in New York City. See! The cute-guy-travel thing worked.
3. What is a career highlight of yours?
Getting my first big office at the Casting Lounge after I had my second kiddo. Susan Vergara, the owner of Casting Lounge, surprised me by setting up a playpen so I can bring Sunny (my daughter) to work with me.
4. If you could go back, what would you tell yourself on your first day on the job?
You’re lucky! You have one of the best casting directors (Mimi Webb Miller) teaching you. We had so many awesome adventures together.
5. What are some of your favorite hobbies outside of work?
Yoga and running to get my spazz out. And hanging with my family of course!
6. If you could describe yourself as a television or movie character, who would you pick?
Jerry Seinfeld or Larry David. Real-life ridiculousness is my favorite part of every person and situation.
7. What was the last film you saw?
‘Dolemite Is My Name.’ And it was Dynamite!
8. Do you have a quote or mantra that you live by?
Work as a team!
9. If you could have lunch with anyone, present or past, who would you pick?
Justin Turnblom (Director, Client Relations East, Casting Networks). We do good lunch!
10. What excites you about the future of your profession?
That I have a family of colleagues that I’m growing old with. It’s fun to see how we all keep on keeping on! We support each other more and more over the years. I appreciate that.
Thank you, Yasmin, for taking part in our series and for your passion and commitment to casting!