Casting Networks® caught up with talent agent Philip Marcus of Clear Talent Group. Philip discusses what inspired him to become an agent, career highlights and why he’s optimistic about the future of entertainment.
1. What inspired you to be a talent agent?
I had only been in Los Angeles for three weeks and I wound up becoming an assistant at KSA talent agency. I was working with Jody Alexander and Bonnie Ventis and after 13 years we all moved to Clear Talent Group and this past April was our 10th anniversary there. Yes, I’ve been doing this for almost 23 years now.
2. What was your first position at an agency or a manager’s office?
Assistant in the Young People’s Dept at KSA.
3. What is a career highlight of yours?
Watching Rico Rodriguez of “Modern Family” win the Emmy for Best Comedy Series in its freshman year.
4. If you could go back in time what would you tell yourself on your first day on the job?
This isn’t brain surgery and the patient won’t die, so don’t take it too seriously, and learn from your mistakes.
5. What are some of your favorite hobbies outside of work?
Traveling, beach resorts, I am a huge James Bond fan and going to the movies.
6. If you could describe yourself as a television or movie character, who would you pick and why?
James Bond, 007… my friends know why.
7. What was the last film you saw?
I saw “The Invisible Man” in the movie theaters the week before it all shut down.
8. Do you have a quote or mantra that you live by?
Carpe Diem, seize the day! It has been my motto since college.
9. If you could have lunch with anyone, past or present, who would you pick?
Roger Moore, just to share his amazing stories.
10. What excites you about the future of your profession?
Our industry is always changing, and now more than ever before. I have clients in the past two months who have booked jobs and recorded from their homes. I never thought I would see that day. Always be open-minded and ready to accept changes.